Registered childminders are professional childcarers who work in their own homes to provide care and learning opportunities for other people’s children in a family setting. They care for children aged six weeks to 12 years.
Childminders provide flexible care. Because childminders look after a small number of children they can offer individual attention. They provide children with the opportunity to form friendships, learn and develop in a safe caring environment.
The maximum number of children for whom a childminder may care is:-
- Ten children up to 12 years of age
- Of those ten children, no more than six may be under 8 years of age
- Of those six, no more than three may be under 5 years of age
- Of those three children, normally no more than two may be under 18 months of age, although exceptions can be made for siblings
Costs can vary and you may be able to claim help towards the cost of childcare. Check if you qualify for Tax Credits.
By law childminders must:-
- be registered with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) before they begin to work with children.
- have a written agreement with parents for each child they care for. It should set out clearly what is expected from each party.
Things to consider when drawing up a contract:-
- Fees and arrangements for payments
- Are there any additional costs eg meals, nappies, pick ups?
- Do you have to pay if your child or your childminder is sick?
- Do you have to pay for bank holidays?
- What will happen if you are late picking up your child?
- What will happen when your childminder is ill or on holiday?
- Times your childminder is available to provide care.
- What notice do you need to give about changes to the contract?
Childminders in Merthyr Tydfil. Please note that not all childminders wish their details to be made public.
- Mrs Flaherty - Dowlais
- Mrs Minett - Gwaunfarren
- Mrs Powell - Penydarren
- Mrs Christina James - Troedyrhiw
- Ms Childs - Penydarren
- Ms Thomas - Trefechan
- Rebecca's Rascals - Treharris
- Sticks & Stones Childminding - Pentrebach
Last Updated: May 2018