FAQ for Parents
When visiting a potential childcare setting, here are a few questions to ask yourself.
Is it Welcoming?
- Were you made to feel welcome?
- Did the children look happy, interested and stimulated?
- Were the staff helpful?
- Were the premises clean, well ventilated, warm and safe?
- Was there parking for parents?
- Is there provision for special needs?
- What about meals? If my child has a dietary requirement, can these be catered for?
- Is there access to an outdoor play area?
- Were the staff friendly and approachable?
- How did staff interact with children?
- How do staff encourage good behaviour?
- How many carers and how many children are there in the setting?
- Are there lots of suitable toys and play equipment?
- What use is made of television or computer games?
- Were the activities varied and imaginative?
- Are girls and boys encouraged to take part in all activities and encouraged to use all equipment?
- Will my child have stories? Are there book to look at?
Is it Caring?
- Is the setting flexible about a settling in period? Can I stay with my child to help him / her settle?
- How will I find out how my child is progressing?